- October 11, 2019
- Posted by: Prinston Jean-Glaude
- Category: Health Articles, Living Healthy
According to the Mayo Clinic, the health of your mouth, teeth and gums are important as they are linked to the general health of your body. The mouth is a major entryway to your respiratory and digestive tract and thus a conduit for bacteria that can cause disease. Each October is recognized as National Dental Hygiene Month by the American Dental Hygienists’ Association and other dental organizations such as the American Dental Association (ADA). As part of this year’s awareness campaign, the ADA is “focusing on four routines to help people maintain healthy smiles: brush, floss, rinse, chew.”
The Mayo Clinic explains that poor dental hygiene and oral health can lead to some serious health conditions such as:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Pregnancy and birth complications
- Alzheimer’s Disease
The ADA recommends the following tips for a healthy mouth and body:
- Brush your teeth twice daily with fluoride toothpaste.
- Clean between your teeth daily.
- Eat a healthy diet that limits sugary beverages and snacks.
- See your dentist regularly for prevention and treatment of oral disease.