- August 13, 2019
- Posted by: Prinston Jean-Glaude
- Category: Health Articles, Living Healthy
During this week, August 12-18, 2019, the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), celebrates Safe and Sound Week, to “recognize the importance and successes of workplace safety and health programs.” During this week, employers are encouraged to “implement workplace safety initiatives and highlight workers’ contributions to improving safety.”
According to OSHA Acting Assistant Secretary of Labor, Loren Sweatt, “Safe & Sound Week reminds employers that safety and health programs help businesses save money, eliminate injuries, and most importantly, save lives.” Regarding workplace injuries, the National Safety Council shares the following statistics:
- A worker is injured on the job every 7 seconds.
- 33.54% of workplace injuries are due to overexertion such as lifting, lowering, or repetitive motions.
- The service, transportation/shipping, manufacturing/production industries are the top 3 occupations with the largest numbers of workplace injuries that result in days lost from work.
OSHA suggests that by participating in Safe & Sound Week, organizations can energize their workforce into safe and healthy habits or jumpstart efforts to plan and implement health and safety programs. Learn how to participate by registering your organization at https://www.osha.gov/safeandsoundweek/#register.
If you are injured at work or any place else, seek medical attention immediately, even if it seems minor. To schedule an appointment with a healthcare professional at any of our convenient Primary Medical Care Center community clinics, you may visit our website at www.primarymed.com, or call (305)751-1500 for our Miami-Dade clinic, or (954)289-0000 for our Broward clinic.