Harvard University explains that “A bladder infection, also called cystitis, is caused by abnormal growth of bacteria inside the bladder, the balloon-like organ that stores urine.” Bladder infections are very common, according to the Mayo Clinic, with over 3 million cases per year.
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK), report that the symptoms of bladder infections may include:
- A burning sensation when you urinate.
- Intense urges or frequent need to urinate even with very little urine to pass.
It is important to seek immediate medical care if such symptoms are associated with severe pain in your back, close to your ribs or in your lower abdomen along with nausea, vomiting, and fever.
WebMd suggest the following ways to prevent bladder infections:
- Avoid bubble baths, deodorants and soaps or any perfumes on your vagina.
- Try to empty your bladder when you feel the urge and empty it completely.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Cranberry juice has been proven effective in preventing bladder infections.
- Urinate immediately after sexual intercourse.
- Wipe from front to back when you go to the bathroom.
- Wear cotton underwear that is loose-fitting and breathable.
It is important to seek immediate medical care if you are experiencing bladder infection symptoms in addition to severe pain in your back, close to your ribs or in your lower abdomen along with nausea, vomiting, and fever. You may walk-in or schedule an appointment with a healthcare provider at any of our convenient Primary Medical Care Center community clinics, you may visit our website at www.primarymed.com, or call (305)751-1500 for our Miami-Dade clinic, or (954)289-0000 for our Broward clinic.