October is National Physical Therapy Month. It is an opportunity to increase awareness about the benefits of physical therapy “to improve mobility, manage pain and other chronic conditions, recover from injury, and prevent future injury and chronic disease,” according to the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA).
MedicineNet defines physical therapy as “A branch of rehabilitative health that uses specially designed exercises and equipment to help patients regain or improve their physical abilities.” The website, www.movementforlife.com lists the following ten key benefits of physical therapy:
- Helps manage pain.
- Can help avoid surgery.
- Can prevent injuries.
- Improves mobility and balance.
- Can also tackle general health issues.
- Can help you recover from a stroke.
- Can help manage age related issues.
- Can help maximize your movement.
- Can help avoid dependence on pain medication.
- Can help manage heart and lung disease.
For physical therapy referrals and to schedule an appointment at any of our convenient Primary Medical Care Center community clinics, you may visit our website at www.primarymed.com, or call (305)751-1500 for our Miami-Dade clinic, or (954)289-0000 for our Broward clinic.