July is recognized as Family Reunion Month for good reason as the kids are out of school and the weather is generally great. It is a good time to reconnect with family members who are sometimes spread apart in different parts of the country and even the world. As families come together, to reminisce over past times and create new memories, food preparation and consumption tends to be central to the festivities. Families may also plan other events that may involve water or athletics. Ensuring everyone’s health and safety is key to a successful family reunion.
Here are some tips to keep your family safe and healthy during your family reunion this summer:
- Ensure that those with medical conditions get clearance from their healthcare professionals before travelling and remember to take all their medications with them.
- If travelling by car, all occupants must wear seatbelts and drive safely. Never drink and drive and never text while driving.
- Plan a healthy menu for all reunion meals and be mindful of those with special diets especially those relatives with high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, and food allergies.
- Pay attention to food safety by washing produce properly, cooking poultry and eggs thoroughly, and refrigerating leftovers promptly.
- Water safety is important, especially when small children are around. Never leave them unattended.
- Lather on sunscreen.
- Of course, if anyone is injured, seek medical attention immediately.
Family reunions are a great time to gather your family’s health history and to know what health conditions exist in your family that you may not have already been aware of. It can also be a reminder to have your annual physical if you had not already done so. To schedule an annual physical at any of our convenient Primary Medical Care Center community clinics, you may visit our website at www.primarymed.com, or call (305)751-1500 for our Miami-Dade clinic, or (954)289-0000 for our Broward clinic.